Monday, February 05, 2007

Pop culture Monday...




Lightening up today with a few pop culture notes.

Enjoyed His Purpleness last night doing the half time show for the Super Bowl. You can catch Prince's act now in Las Vegas.

Glad to see Peyton Manning erase his 'choker' image the bad media hung on him. Tennessee football hasn't been the same since he graduated.

David Lee Roth is rejoining VanHalen for a forty city tour of USA this summer. Eddie's son, fifteen year old Wolfgang has replaced Michael Anthony on bass. And yes, that pic of Eddie has him looking pretty rough, but he's fifty-one, been through alcoholism and fought off cancer. Cut him a bunch of slack.

David Byrne (Talking Heads) now has a musical to his credit. Musical is based on Imelda Marcos. Sounds strange no? Heres a review from Time magazine.

fyi Blogger sure isn't wysiwyg. This post did not come out like I see in 'compose'.

4 comments:

Joe said...

I had fun last night trying to explain Prince's metamorphosis into "the artist formerly known as..." to the kids. The youngest looked at the symbol Prince was standing on and informed me, with a snicker, "well, that's the symbol for female with an extra thingie on it"

Chris said...

I actually had that same conversation with Makayla who is 11 years old. She thought the symbol was really cool but that "he" was weird. We're revisiting the word eccentricity but "well, that's the symbol for female with an extra thingie on it" says it all I think.

I really dig Prince myself, but, Makayla's not ready to hear the music yet and we had more fun talking about his comparatively small physical stature. She couldnt believe he was wearing high heel boots and was still shorter than the dancing girls around him. He can work a high heel boot like nobody's business. And in the rain nontheless. Respect.

Joe said...

(laughing my ass off) JC, I missed the heels...didn't see them at all! Funny how our kids see our old pop idols, eh? Sarah (our 18 year old) is the biggest David Bowie fan you'll ever find...she has records, posters, books, t-shirts! Holly is just as great a fan of Queen. I'm very proud :)

Chris said...

Wow, David Bowie and Queen. I'm impressed. Some things truly are timeless. They've obviously inherited some of your "excellent musical intuition in matters of taste".

David Bowie's - Cat People(Putting out the Fire) is one of my favorite tunes and I believe it was you who introduced me to that one. Also one of favorite movies.

I have to confess to being empressed by Freddy Mercury of Queen as well. I have some Queen in my "Classics" playlist.

You had to look close for Prince's heels because his pants came all the way to the floor to cover them up and the heels were the same color as his pant. I've never seen him without them in fact. Maybe a little self conscious? He truly works them as if he were born with them attached.