Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Ahhhhh .....Family Fun


Michel Houellebecq's mother, who as reported on The First Post has written a memoir rebutting the alleged portrayal of her as an "old slut of a mother" in her son's best-selling novel Atomised, is back on the warpath.

In an interview in today's Guardian, Lucie Ceccaldi (pictured), 83, calls her son an "evil, stupid little bastard", saying that it would be in his best interests to stay out of her way. "If he is unfortunate enough to use my name in something again, I'll cane him round the face, that'll knock his teeth out, that's for sure. And [his publishers] won't stop me."

The Frenchman, who now lives in Ireland, is refusing to respond to her attacks, which he sees as part of a cynical campaign to publicise her book, L'innocente. In the past, he said of his mother: "She is too egocentric to produce a significant account of anything other than herself."

When asked about her abandonment of her son - he claims she left him with grandparents so she could live on a commune and enjoy young male lovers - Ceccaldi says: "I never left anybody. My son is my son. It was more him that left me. I had a relationship with him until he decided he had been abandoned. I saw him every year. Maybe I should have sent him to an English boarding school so he could have gone horse-riding and become a gentleman and everyone would have praised me."

In her memoir's postscript, she says that she will only talk to her estranged son “if he goes to a public square with Atomised in his hand and says: ‘I am a liar, I am an imposter’.” However, she has little hope of this happening. “He's too proud. And also, he's famous because he's a terrible victim. If he apologised to me, his sales would disappear."

(thanks to TheFirstPostUK)

No comments: