Sunday, May 25, 2008

Memorial Day Rememberance....Carl Felker


This is my good friend, Carl Felker, now deceased. Carl was a combat infantryman in WWII, serving in the 76th. Division, 385th Infantry Regiment.
Carl shared a lot of his combat experiences in Europe with me and not many of them were good. He was drafted at 18 in Savannah, Tn. Carl was 76 when he died and for all his life after the war, he suffered from what is now know as Post Traumatic Disorder. Despite this handicap, he went on to college and became a school teacher and a Methodist minister. He was also married to the same woman all his life and raised three children.
All his life Carl was a knowledge seeker with an open mind. His sharing with me of some of his knowledge changed my life for the better. Carl's life was one of love, service and devotion to his fellow man and his country.
I'm proud to have known him and been his friend.

No comments: