Monday, June 02, 2008

Whatever happened to....?


As lead singer of the Seventies punk band the Sex Pistols, he was nicknamed Johnny Rotten – a reference to his decaying, tombstone teeth. However, in yesterday's Sunday Telegraph the rock icon, who has travelled under the name John Lydon for the past 30 years, admitted he can no longer use his former sobriquet.

"I've just spent $22,000 on them," he said. "But it wasn't vanity that sent me to the dentist after all those years. It was necessity. Ill health. All those rotten teeth were seriously beginning to corrupt my system."

Now 50, Lydon also revealed his eye sight was failing, and that he'd brought his first pair of glasses. "My distance vision is fine but, up close, hmm, a bit dodgy now. Age I suppose. I keep falling off the edge of the stage because I can't see it. I can't see my wrinkles in the mirror either, though." He also admitted his hair would be grey if he didn’t dye it.

And the waistline too has expanded, so much so that on the Sex Pistols’s new live concert DVD, We’ll Always Have The DVD, he announces to the audience: "I'm fat, I'm fifty and I'm back."

In the interview, Lydon also reflected on the Catholic church – his school had wanted him to be an altar boy, but he refused not wanting be a part of the "molestation brigade" - and one particular priest's treatment of his mother when she was dying of cancer. "The priest was in no rush to come over from Ireland to give her the last rites in hospital. The opposite in fact. He took his time and missed the boat. My mum was dying and she was clinging to any straw. But it was all, 'Oh, and by the way, is there any money in it?' He never arrived."

But lest anyone be mistaken that age has softened him – he's still an "an-ar-chist", as he sneered at the beginning of the Pistol’s first single Anarchy in the UK - he offered this warning to Buckingham Palace. "They're bound to offer me a knighthood. They can stuff it - those institutions are the Devil incarnate."
....from The First Post

No comments: